The PLAN: South Boston Dorchester Avenue Planning Initiative was launched in July 2015. It is a comprehensive effort involving the community and staffed by a planning team consisting of an interdepartmental working group from across City departments and state transportation agencies.
“Preserve, enhance, and grow” were the three lenses by which the study area was examined to determine how to create an appropriate planning vision. Community discussions exploring conceptual height and density buildouts, open space concepts, and a new street network to connect the district to the surrounding South Boston neighborhood and beyond formed the physical framework for this Plan.
In an effort to start the implementation of this plan in 2017 in coordination with Imagine Boston 2030, the City departments will continue to define new policies, zoning, and collaborative initiatives. Specific opportunities that were realized from the PLAN initiative process:
- A proactive approach to change in an area facing development pressure.
- Engagement of community residents, businesses, non-profits, property owners, advocates, and various stakeholders through a range of workshops, site visits, and events.
- A coordinated interdepartmental working group communicating through task driven dialogue and regular staff meetings.
- A defined vision that will allow the City and the community to create and improve the planning area.
- Establishment of new development guidelines for the overall district that ensures the delivery of predictable community benefits.
- Development of recommendations that will form the basis for new zoning to guide future growth in a manner that is consistent with the community's vision.
PLAN: South Boston, Dorchester Avenue zoning process will translate community values and guidelines outlined in the December 2016 BPDA Board approved Plan into updated zoning for the corridor along Dorchester Avenue between Andrew Square and Broadway stations.
The zoning session on May 2, 2017 was an opportunity to learn about the Plan and to have a discussion about zoning process as it relates to PLAN: South Boston, Dorchester Avenue. The next zoning session is planned for July, 2017. Please stay tuned.
Read some press
BRA takes a hard look at Dorchester Avenue
Dot Ave: South Boston's Next Downtown?
Questions about this planning process should be directed to:
Mary Knasas, Senior Planner
Boston Redevelopment Authority
1 City Hall Sq., 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02210