Navy Yard Master Plan Implementation

Timeline

1797

Navy Yard commissioned for military use

A Congressional resolve of January 1797 authorized the federal government to purchase 23 acres on the Charlestown waterfront for $19,000. The Navy Yard was subsequently constructed, and opened for operations in 1801.

It was enlarged by fill, and additional land acquisitions in 1811 and 1840, to a total size of 201 acres comprising Navy facilities that included 161 buildings, 21 miles of railroad and a number of docks, piers, and shipways.

Share This Article:

  • Boston Planning & Development Agency
  • One City Hall Square, Boston, MA 02201
  • Tel: 617.722.4300  Fax: 617.248.1937
  • © 2020 Boston Planning & Development Agency